Developing Literacy - Bedrock Vocabulary
During the remote learning period, we have invested in an innovative literacy improvement tool called Bedrock Vocabulary for Years 7-9 to ensure that all students progress with their literacy skills whilst learning at home.
Click HERE to log in to Bedrock Vocabulary (parents and students)
Bedrock Vocabulary is an online platform designed to help students extend and learn important and relevant academic vocabulary.
As your child progresses through the Bedrock curriculum, they will study hundreds of new words. Students will be given allocated literacy time daily at the end of the school day in Years 7-9. Your child will need to leave 24 hours between each online session as the program is designed to develop memory retention.
- Year 7 and 8 daily literacy slot: 3.00-3.30pm
- Year 9 daily literacy slot: 3.15-3.45pm
Research has shown that there is a direct link between a student’s vocabulary size and their academic achievement. Children with a wider vocabulary make faster progress at school, in further education and beyond. Narrow vocabularies affect directly students’ grades. Helping students to improve and widen their academic vocabularies is essential if standards and outcomes are to improve.
How can parents help?
- Sit through one Bedrock lesson with your child. You’ll get a clear idea of how long it should take them and the level they should be working at.
- If you have not done so already, create your Bedrock parent account. You will require the access code sent to you from HABS by email and the student code sent to your child’s email address. Click HERE to download the Bedrock parent guide, if you need help.
- Check the Vocab Notebook and the recent activity report to monitor your child’s progress. Congratulate them when they complete a topic- this will keep them motivated through the next one!
Student login support
Click HERE for instructions about Bedrock student guide, including accessing students logins. You can also watch the short film below, if you need to.
If you have any further questions about this programme then please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be directed to a member of staff in the literacy team.