SEN & Disabilities
Thank you for taking the time to visit the Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND) section of our website.
All students have the right to achieve their maximum academic and social potential. At the Academy we believe that all students have learning differences rather than learning difficulties and it is our policy to identify and assess these differences and ensure that learning is supported and differentiated to ensure outstanding progress is made by all students.
SENCO - Karen Powell K.Powell@harrisbattersea.org.uk
SEND Governor – Robert Jordan
Any SEN enquiries should be sent to K.Powell@harrisbattersea.org.uk, or by post addressed to Karen Powell (SENCO).
Information on the London Borough of Wandsworth's Local Offer can be found at thrive.wandsworth.gov.uk
A summary of SEN provision can be downloaded at the bottom of the page.
The SEN Code of Practice key changes
The Code of Practice (2015) covers the 0-25 age range and includes guidance relating to disabled children and young people as well as those with SEN.
- There is a clearer focus on the participation of children and young people and parents in decision-making at individual and strategic levels
- There is a stronger focus on high aspirations and on improving outcomes for children and young people
- It includes guidance on the joint planning and commissioning of services to ensure close co-operation between education, health and social care
- It includes guidance on publishing a Local Offer of support for children and young people with SEN or disabilities
- For children and young people with more complex needs a co-ordinated assessment process and the new 0-25 Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) replace statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs)
- There is a greater focus on support that enables those with SEN to succeed in their education and make a successful transition to adulthood
To see the new SEN Code of Guidance 2015, please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/325875/SEND-Code_of_Practice-June2014.pdf